Beat the heat with these summer sandwich ideas:
Hold the Mayo Tuna Salad Sandwich
This recipe makes 2 servings (serving size is 1 sandwich). Preparation time 10 minutes. Per serving: 260 calories; Fat 9g; Saturated Fat 1.4g; Trans Fat 0; Carbohydrates 31 g; Protein 17g
- 1 can (5 oz) no-salt added white tuna in water, drained
1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. course Dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove, very finely minced
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 large celery stalk, minced
- 2 Tbsp. finely minced red or Vidalia onion
- 1 tsp. drained capers
- 1 tsp. fresh minced basil
- 2 whole wheat English muffins
- In a medium bowl, flake the drained tuna gently until fluffy.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt, black pepper, and sugar. Pour over the tuna and gently mix.
- Add the celery, onion, capers, and basil. Gently combine.
- Divide the tuna salad and serve the English muffins.
Buffalo Chicken Pita
This recipe makes 4 servings, each 1/2 pita pocket. Each servings has 250 calories; 6 grams of Fat, 21 grams of Carbohydrates, and 26 grams of Protein.
- 2 cups cooked and chopped chicken breast
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup bottled buffalo wing sauce
- 2 whole wheat pita pockets
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves
- 4 Tbsp. reduced-fat blue cheese salad dressing
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, celery, and Buffalo wing sauce. Stir to coat the chicken evenly.
- cut the pitas in half to form pockets. Fill one half with one lettuce leaf, 1 Tbsp. blue cheese dressing, and 1/2 cup chicken salad mixture. Repeat for the remaining three pita halves.