Try this healthy side dish to stay warm and cozy this fall!
¾ Tbsp vegetable oil
¾ cup fresh onions, peeled, diced
⅓ cup fresh carrots, peeled, diced
½ cup fresh celery, diced
1 Tbsp enriched all-purpose flour
⅓ tsp low-sodium chicken base
1¼ cups water
⅛ tsp salt-free seasoning
⅓ tsp garlic powder
1 cup canned low-sodium diced tomatoes
1 cup fresh sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed 1 inch
½ cup fresh red potato, unpeeled, cubed 1 inch
1 cup cooked diced chicken, ½ inch pieces (3 oz)
2 cups canned low-sodium great northern beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup fresh baby spinach, chopped
1. Heat vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat.
2. Cook onions, carrots, and celery for 5 minutes allowing them to brown slightly.
3. Sprinkle flour over the vegetables. Stir well.
4. Add chicken base and water. Stir constantly. Bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in salt-free seasoning and garlic powder. Cook uncovered for 2 minutes.
6. Add tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and red potatoes. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir frequently.
7. Add chicken, beans, and spinach. Stir. Continue to simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 30-40 minutes
Makes six ¾-cup servings
Nutrients per ¾ cup serving: Calories 124, Protein 8 g, Carbohydrate 18 g, Dietary Fiber 5 g, Total Fat 2 g, Saturated Fat < 1 g, Cholesterol 13 mg, Vitamin C 9 g, Iron 2 mg, Calcium 50 mg, Sodium 57 mg